Monday, March 2, 2009
Manga Review: D.Gray-man
D.GRAY-MAN
By: Hoshino Katsura

The Story:
Akuma, monsters born from dead souls mistakenly recalled by their loved ones to the living world, are the weapons of the Millenium Earl, who is intent on the destruction of the world. Allen Walker has been cursed with an anti-Akuma weapon as his left arm and an eye that sees the former soul of the Akuma since his youth. He is also one of the few who contain "Innocence", a substance that allows him to kill Akuma and fight the Earl. With these powers, he joins the Black Priest Organization as an Exorcist and sets out with other Exorcists to stop the Earl's attempts to annihilate the human race.
My Thoughts:
Another one of my favorites (it seems as if 'my fave' list is neverending lately), this manga is definitely 'eye-catching'. I initially think that there's nothing special about the plot, that it's your typical tormented good vs. triumphal evil type of story. And of course I was right! But what really made me look twice at the manga is the whole gothic theme in the manga. I've always been fascinated by Japanese version of dark & gothic (cuz I think they can pull it off much better) and the concept really speaks to me. Plus, it does help a lot that the story (eventhough it might be typical) is still interesting and enjoyable to read. There's lot of surprises in store for reader, which is a good thing. And also kudos to the mangaka (I just found out that it's a 'she' and not a 'he', which is a surprise for me) for coming with memorable names for the main characters such as Allen Walker, Yu Kanda (my personal fave) & Lenalee Lee.

My Ratings: * * * *

Labels:

posted by Aly at 10:53 PM | Permalink |


0 Comments:


Post a Comment

~ back home