Monday, March 2, 2009
Favorite Mangaka Couple
How often did you hear your 2 favorite mangakas actually getting hitched? And is there even a remote possibility of that situation happening? If you ask me this several (long) years ago, my answer for both might be 'no'. But of course rules are made to be broken (if there is such rules anyway) and here we have mega-mangakas Naoko Takeuchi (of Sailormoon fame) & Yoshihiro Togashi (of Hunter X Hunter fame) as a bona fide couple. They even got a child together (lucky kid!) and has been married since 1999. Apparently they first met, dated & eventually got married when Takeuchi-san was working as an assistant for Togashi-san after she decided to leave Kodansha.

I still remember discovering the news while I was reading volume 5 of Hunter X Hunter. Being an avid fan of both Sailormoon (my first official manga read) and Yu Yu Hakusho (way before HxH) I was somewhat in disbelieve when Togashi-san mention it (in chibi no less - her an 'usagi', him a dog) in a sidebar of HxH. Heck, I didn't even know they know each other up until that point. But regards of my temporary shock, I soon recover & was extremely happy for them. How cool is it to have your spouse helping you in drawing/writing your manga when you don't feel like it? I just hope that they (particularly Togashi-san) is not going on hiatus (4 times in total so far) again cause I don't think I can take much more of it for HxH. Anyway, how much money did you think they made so far? Must be quite a lot since Sailormoon & HxH is still going on strong until now. A lucky kid indeed that 'petit-oji'!

Naoko Takeuchi


Years of experience: 24 years
Major Hits: Sailormoon, The Cherry Project, Toki Meca
Made-to-Anime: Sailormoon
Made-to-LiveAction: Sailormoon
Awards: 2nd Nakayoshi Comic Prize for Newcomers (in 1985 for Yume jai Nai no ne) Nakayoshi's New Artist (for Love Call) Kodansha Manga Award (in 1993 for Sailormoon).

Yoshihiro Togashi

Years of experience: 20 years
Major Hits: Hunter X Hunter, Yu Yu Hakusho, Level E
Made-to-Anime: Hunter X Hunter, Yu Yu Hakusho
Made-to-LiveAction: None so far (maybe soon?)
Awards: Shogakukan Manga Award (in 1994 for YYH) Tezuka Award (year unknown).

Labels:

posted by Aly at 3:24 AM | Permalink |


0 Comments:


Post a Comment

~ back home