THE DEBSBy: Susan McBride
The Story:
The Debs is about four ultra-rich and very privileged high schoolers who are preparing to debut into Houston society and each are hoping for an invitation into the Glass Slipper Club which will culminate in this amazing ball where each will feel and act as if they were princesses. The story is told in alternating viewpoints between the four girls; Laura, the size-fourteen trust fund baby, Ginger, the environmentally-obsessed legacy, Mac, the reluctant debutante slash tomboy and Jo Lynn, the scheming ex-beauty queen.
My Thoughts:
When I first got this book (a friend gave it to me on X'Mas recently) I was a bit sceptical to read it. I was like 'ooo, not another so-called Gossip Girl wannabe book'. But since I got bored I decided to give it a try and it's surprisingly a good read. Nothing like I've imagined it would be (well, okay maybe it's 40% of what I thought I would be), the story is simpler and lighter than any priviledge girls/cliques series that I've read. Centering at the surprisingly competitive world of debutantes, beauty queens & football players in Texas, the book delivers something a bit different to its readers. The main protagonist for this series is a 'curvy' (size 14) trust-fund baby, together with her band of best friends, which consist of a bookworm tomboy & a hard-core 'green girl'. Sure, they also battle it out with the uber popular & vicious 'it girls' & go for guys that are supposingly 'off limits', but the book is still a wonderful read and the drama is well-developed.
My Ratings: * * * 1/2
Labels: teen lit
Post a Comment