Tuesday, December 2, 2008
Book Review: Haters
HATERS
By: Alisa Valdes-Rodriguez

The Story:

When Pasquala Rumalda Quintana de Archuleta (Paski)'s father returns to Taos from a business trip wearing a velour Juicy men's track suit, she knows her life is taking a turn for the worse. Paski and her father move to Southern California, where his comic strip has been optioned for a movie. At her new high school, money is everything and the haters rule - especially beautiful, cruel Jessica Nguyen. While Paski tries to concentrate on mountain biking and not thinking too much about ultra-hot Chris Cabrera, she is troubled by visions. Her psychic grandmother warned that ignoring her gift would lead to trouble. Can Paski ever find a home in the land of the glamorous haters?

My Thoughts:

I first became interested in reading this book when I saw a preview of it at the back of another teen lit book. I've just finish this book (in between my flights no doubt) and I give the author props for at least attempting to do something a bit different. Sure, the story is still your typical new-girl-meets-nasty-alpha-girl-and-falls-for-alpha-girl's-boyfriend but with a multi-ethnical cast. Plus, the main girl Paski (and the rest of the 'it crowd') is actually into motocross more than typical jocks & cheerleaders stuff so I think it's kinda cool. Another plus point is when the author attempt to put real-life dangerous scenarios that teens often faced (like excessive partying, gang-rape, bullying etc). I don't think the book wowed me but still I can't think of anything bad about it either. But I do agree with the author's choice though. Rachel Bilson is definitely gorgeous!

My Ratings: * * *

Labels:

posted by Aly at 10:26 PM | Permalink |


0 Comments:


Post a Comment

~ back home