It was refreshing to get a few days off work recently. So what do I do with my so-called free time? I did a Gokusen marathon. Yup, I actually watched all 3 seasons of the live action drama in 2 days. So this ‘event’ requires a special kind of review…GOKUSEN
Produced by: VAP/Nippon TV Network
Main Cast Members: Nakama Yukie, Matsumoto Jun, Oguri Shun, Kamenashi Kazuya, Akanishi Jin, Yuya Takaki, Miura Haruma etc.
The Story:
Kumiko (known by her students as "Yankumi") becomes a teacher at an all-boys private high school. Her class is full of delinquents, but she tries her hardest to teach them not just about academics (her subject is Mathematics), but about lessons of life, much like any "dedicated teacher" story. Though she's forced to keep her family a secret from the public, her Yakuza upbringing gives her the strength and the experience to reach out to her students, while also providing comedic relief.
My Thoughts:
Best Overall Storyline
The story started off so-so in Season 1. It got more emotional as the season progresses, with the current one being (really, really) intense. But since I’m looking for something more on the comical side of the story, then my choice has got to be Gokusen 1 (and mainly because Matsumoto Jun is in it)
Best Tearjerker
This category goes to Gokusen 3 hands down. It got to the point where I actually felt drained from constant crying. Most memorable one is definitely when Kazama Ren was comatose after a fight & Yankumi actually broke down (which was another first for the series).
Best (Looking) Ensemble
Gokusen 2 wins this one. From the moment the camera pans into the 3D class, my jawed dropped. The guys in Gokusen 2 are so good-looking, you feel like licking them one by one, literally speaking of course. Huhuhu…
Best Boyfriend Material
In each season, Yankumi will eventually fall for a guy that ‘saved’ her. So far, she’d fell for a cop, a teacher & a doctor (in order of the seasons). But I vote for the cop since the other 2 doesn’t contribute much to the stories. So Gokusen 1 got this one.
Favorite Character
It’s a no brainer. From Gokusen 1, the cutie Kumai Teruo had caught my eyes. It’s kinda sweet for the writers to writer it that he eventually got married & have a kid with his crush, Ami in Gokusen 3.
Favorite Song
The most memorable (and currently playing in my playlist) has got to be Kizuna from Gokusen 2. I cannot understand a word of it but I still love it though.
Funniest Moment
There are quite a number of funny moments throughout Gokusen. But my fave is in Gokusen 2 when the whole class of 3D was on a date at a karaoke bar before being chased by their teachers. Tsuchiya taking a ‘peek’ at Goro’s goods in the bathroom is just hilarious. Kawaii!
Best Ending
The ending for Gokusen 3 surprised me a little. After watching the first two, you can almost predict the outcome of the next one. Well, I was wrong. Different from its predecessors, the last one doesn’t involved Yankumi’s secret being discovered & the teachers were quite supportive towards her even until the end.
My Ratings:
Gokusen 1 = 3 votes
Gokusen 2 = 3 votes
Gokusen 3 = 2 votes
Labels: live action
Post a Comment